Sunday, August 29, 2010

Good Bye Computer!


Good Morning, Everyone! I was ready to start blogging on a regular basis, but alas, I have to send my computer away for fixing. I am told it will take 2 to 3 weeks. GAH! The more I think about what I have on my computer and what this means to be apart from it gives me the shakes. My computer is so much an extension of me. It helps me communicate, express feelings, and do what I love to do, which is write.

What’s going to happen to my manuscript that needs revising, or my poetry that I want to submit to contests? What will I do without my IMs? These are the questions that have haunted me this weekend. I’ll drop off my laptop for fixing this afternoon and won’t see it for 2 to 3 weeks.

I’m sure others feel the same way about their computers. Or maybe your blackberry, or cell phone? Maybe some of you are thinking about your televisions? What if your television was taken away? What would you do? Inanimate objects we’ve connected to, relied on for entertainment purposes, relied on to fill our time.

Thinking back to childhood, I looked forward to watching television for Saturday morning cartoons, or when the Twilight Zone or Creature Feature was on. Outside of those highlights, childhood was spent riding bikes, walking around the block, playing in the park, or pretending. As for high school, MTV was the highlight IF you were lucky to have cable, and going to the movies was a treat. In my 20s, I used a cell phone for emergencies, and in my 30s and 40s, my computer has become precious to me.

What’s your inanimate addiction, television, cell phone, computer, vibrator? Do you have a close relationship with anything that doesn’t have blood running through its veins?

Take care and I’ll be back in a few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing how we are unaware that we are slowly becoming attached, and enslaved, by technology... isn't it?

    Once I had to turn my cell for hours and voila! Freedom!

    So... enjoy your freedom for a while, Bea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. You have earned the Strange Men in Pinstripe Suits Blog award. Please stop by my blog for your prize and a list of your responsibilities. :)

    In other words, hurry up and get that computer healed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dern! Beaten by the Puppy again! Guess I should have looked at his list! Oh well - you're a double whammy like me. :) Enjoy! http://www.junekramin.com/archives/1531
    Glad you are back...well, almost! Every time I checked You had the "time out". Gotta go catch up!

    ReplyDelete