Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dear Self


Dear Self,

Ten years from now I might not remember what I did today, so I decided to fill you in.  At the present time in my life, I’m struggling with weight and it’s been discouraging.  I lost two sizes and put some of it back on since the beginning of the year.  It’s been a juggling act to say the least.  You’d think looking at pictures where my face looks like a blowfish and my body resembles a linebacker’s would be enough to flush out the fat.  So far, it hasn’t been.  I’ll admit, I miss my cigarettes in my fat moments, they gave me options.  Maybe in the future, I’ll be thin and healthy.  *lifts coffee cup* Here’s to hoping.

Right now, I’m sitting in my living room watching the tree in my courtyard move with fury as leaves hang on for dear life.  It isn’t just the weather here I’m anxious about, but the weather in Europe.  The love of my life is on his way here except he’s been delayed by the volcanic ash.  Yes, there was a volcanic disruption in Iceland several weeks back and continues to interfere with flights.  As I look out my window excited for his arrival, he sits in Heathrow waiting for his plane’s turn in the diversion process.

Change- it’s the big word these days for me.  Ever since meeting my love, I signed up for an online program to get a Certificate in Web Design, taken some teaching tests, all to add to my resume.  My condo is up for sale and once my love finds a job, I plan to move where he finds work.

Along with these changes, I hope to find a home for my poetry.  There are plenty of Grants and Awards for collections of unpublished poets.  I’ve slowly been doing revisions on my 2008 thriller novel.  My writing, as writing goes, has progressed in a positive manner.  When I started writing, I was cursed with the ‘tell’ syndrome until I read examples and practiced ‘show.’  I thought I’d provide a sample of my ‘show’ to show the improvement.  “Swollen flakes fell slow and aimlessly like fire ash accumulating on the ground.” and “Global strength to submit to while dark roasted eyes sear into my soul, stealing anything left of independence.”

So self, in ten years I hope to be thinner, have a different job, living with my Love, and have a collection of poetry published along with my novel.  Do you think that’s asking too much?  I’ll find out in ten years when I look back at this post to remind me of what was going on, what I wanted and where I wanted to end up.   It all starts with invented dreams, work them into reality, and let the touch of love plant and blossom them to fulfillment. 

Bea

Have you ever written a letter to yourself?  Try it sometime, put it in a box and read it years from now.   You can share something with us now about what’s going on with you.  *smiles*

7 comments:

  1. Bea, what you ask for won't be hard. Just make it happen. :D It's easier than it seems.

    This was a great idea. It's always good to get those thoughts out of your head. And yes, I've written many a letter to myself. It always helps make me feel better.

    *lifts cup o tea* in your honor, good luck with everything I know you can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't given up trying yet, Hinny.

    It's great to hear you've written a letter to yourself. This was my first time.

    :D Thanks, Hinny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((((hugs Bea tight)))) Bea your letter is eloquently written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs Kimmi back* Thanks, Kimmi, I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to know what you want & go after it. I hopped around aimlessly for so long without set goals. Still kinda do I guess. Maybe I should follow your example!

    ReplyDelete
  7. June, for some of us structure is needed and for others drifting is required. You're doing pretty good bugarooski! Or should I say, Ms. Published Bugarooski? :D

    ReplyDelete