Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sally Sang Shel's Name!

My nose is red, my nose is dry
At first I thought, it caught a fly
I sneezed real hard to get it out
Out popped a green, scaly trout

I watched it as it flopped around
Squish and splash, the only sound
Until it found the large fish bowl
Flipped in the air, and into the hole

My nose is fine, my nose doesn’t hurt
I wiped it across my pink flower shirt
And filled the fish bowl, using a glass
Sat waiting for it to turn into a bass

I’ve recently purchased, Every Thing On It by Shel Silverstein. It’s a poetry book for children and these poems have a wonderful rhythmic rhyme combined with silly humor. It’s such a great way to get children to appreciate rhyme and help with words. He also put drawings with his poems. After reading a bit about this poet, I found out that he passed away in 1999 and has published many children’s books. This makes me feel totally out of the loop because I have never heard about him, but I appreciate his works...even if he's no longer around.

Below are a few of his silly, wonderful poems. I was laughing so hard when I read them.

B.L….WHAT?

Dog, how could you do this to me?
Eat the tomato out of my B.L.T.
I’m mad and hungry as I can be.
I just might make a B.L.D.

THE ROMANCE

Said the pelican to the elephant,
“I think we should marry, I do.
‘Cause there’s no name that rhymes with me
And no one else rhymes with you.”

Said the elephant to the pelican
“There’s sense to what you’ve said,
For rhyming’s as good a reason as any
For any two to wed.”

And so the elephant wed the pelican,
And they dined upon lemons and limes,
And now they have a baby pelicant
And everybody rhymes.

Prose, nose and toes,
Bea

8 comments:

  1. *giggles*

    Those are cute! I've only heard of Shel Silverstein b/c of my kids & school, but I never read anything of his. I also have to confess to you—Ms. Poetry Expert—that Silverstein's style of rhythmic rhyming is the only kind of poetry I can write. Ahem. Not that I write poetry on a regular basis or anything (as if), but somehow that style is easier. I think I like the restriction of having to rhyme.

    Happy Superbowl Sunday!

    p.s. I love your new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling you've heard of him. :D I'm sure all those with children are familiar with Silverstein's poetry. LOL! But I'm far from being a poetry expert. I think most people can relate to rhythmic rhyme than free style.

    Happy Superbowl Sunday! GO BEARS! Yeah...I know...

    P.S. Thanks for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delightful, Denise! I've never heard of this person either but his skill with words is wonderfully simple and comical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter owns all of his work and his poetry was read for bed for years. So happy you came across his work!!!

    Jacquee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, I'm glad I could introduce you to his writings.

    Jacquee, I'm not surprised. From what you've said, your daughter has always been a reader. Hold onto those books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shel Silverstein is brilliant. One of my biggest reading influences as a child. I really ought to revisit some of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Shel's rhythmic rhymes! Especially The Romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. BFTS, Glad to hear you read him as a child.

    Peggy, Oooo, I'll have to look into the Romance. :)

    ReplyDelete