Thursday, September 11, 2008

In Memory of 911

I can't believe it's been 7 years since the horrific day when we were attacked on our soil. Everyone knows exactly where and what they were doing when the planes hit. I know I'll never forget the overwhelming melancholy that blanketed my little part of the world, the tears we all cried as we were glued to the television watching the repeated images. Why I sat there letting the media slap me in the face with pictures of the day that truly changed America is beyond my comprehension. Every time I turned the television on, talked to someone, or received an email about 911, I cried. Endless tears I call them because today the same tears and heavy heart exist.

I remember the day like yesterday. I just arrived at work and someone told me a plane flew into one of the World Trade Center towers. It was tragic, but I continued getting ready for work and then approximately 15 minutes later another plane hit the other tower. We had CNN and MSNBC on all the channels at work watching the crashes with wide eyes and mouths while trying to comprehend the reality. My sister and a friend called me telling me to get out of the city. I didn't know what they were talking about as they cried and begged me to leave. My sister said, "You're watching national news stations. There's another plane missing and they believe it might be headed for Chicago." She told me to get out, so without dismissal since our bosses were in the Pentagon Center, I left for the train. They jammed as many people on the train as possible and left. A train ride that normally took 35 minutes took 1-1/2 hours, and I remember getting off the train and not wanting to be alone. I went to the bar I bartended at, and with some of the guys on bar stools, eyes glued to the television with tears streaking their faces, we sat in silence periodically shaking our heads.

My heart goes out to all the lives lost, all those involved, all those who survived, and for all our armed forces that have been fighting the battle in other lands to keep us safe. For them, I extend my gratitude for giving me the freedom to post on my blog. To sit in my living room safe from the horrors that exist in their daily lives. I salute all the men and women, past and present, and thank you for all your sacrifices and I will always remember your gift of freedom.

God Bless each and every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment