Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Age of Leo

I started this blog several days after my birthday. *clears throat* It was my 40th birthday, and someone on the writing forum gave me the idea of posting a little something about mortality. You see, turning 40 didn't bother me as much as 30, although I can't help think about how the years are moving fast and I'm tripping to keep up. This last decade whizzed by, and the frightening questions I have is will I accomplish everything I want, or leave a decent history? Only time will tell, and if I don't leave on a positive note, who cares, I'll be dead.

Here is one of my horoscope readings, Leo July 24 - August 23:

"Reality jumped out the window last night and hasn't been seen since." As odd as this sounds, it may convey the energy of the time. Great magical and mystical experiences could come to pass, particularly around the lunar eclipse on August 16. The days leading up to it are days of wonder; afterward, you may ponder where they went."

Can I consider being hung over on my birthday 'magical' and 'mystical'? I spent magical moments with the toilet and mystical moments begging God to put me out of my misery. It also mentions the lunar eclipse, August 16, when I yelled at my sister. Not so magical for either of us.

At this time, I'd like to wish you all a Happy Birthday and I hope you can cope with mortality better than me.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated B-Day Bea.

    Heard a fortysomething guy on the radio say recently, "When people ask me what I want to achieve in life, I say that I want to finish this life by living it well." He explained that he wanted to live every day w/ righteous intentions and selfless conduct. One day at a time.

    In other words, don't look too far ahead or too far behind focusing on opportunities missed or goals to pursue. Live every day well. As far as your schedule allows, worry only about the hour and the day that you are in.

    And if you mess it up, like I do at least four/five times a week, reboot the next morning and live THAT day well. As Father Joe tells the kids who've been abandoned, abused, infected, etc., Let's use this moment - the moment we are in and the only moment we are guaranteed - to build some good momentum. Then, if we're lucky to get another moment, let's use it the same way. Before you know it, kids are hopping and skipping in joyful momentum.

    Easier said than done, I know, but don't regret the past or fret over the future. Be. Here. Now. Own the moment you're in.

    And for the record, I'm 46 and I groan and the prospect of crossing the big 5-0. By then maybe 50 will be the new 30.

    ReplyDelete