Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Day We Met

At lunch, I was looking at types of poetry and read an Italian sonnet. Below is my first attempt at an Italian sonnet, so please don’t throw tomatoes at the screen.

So elusive, the day we met
Soft smelling skin, and wrinkled red.
Your beauty stunned with nothing said,
But knew I’d be in sister’s debt.
Tiny body wiggles from fret,
Wrapped tight in clothes, on back, in bed.
Rocking close to crib, while I read
Feelings for you, will not forget.
Lives became special with this shift,
Of baby in her pure white gown,
Eyes big, I learn, about lovin’.
I thanked the lord for such a gift,
Smiled down, gently kiss your crown,
Looked up, now sits a young woman.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. I liked the rhythm to it. You're niece should be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Shadow! I appreciate your input on the poem. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I had to set up an account with Gmail to get this posted. :)

    This was a very sweet poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Turkey,

    I'm so sorry it wouldn't let you post without a gmail account.

    Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting on my poem. It means a lot to me coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank you, Ana. I truly appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Take care.

    ReplyDelete