Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Who Won the Debate, McCain or Obama?

Well, who do you think? Come on, it depends on what candidate the person supports. I’ll admit I caught the tale end of last night’s debate, so I don’t have much to go on as to who held their own. But based on the conventions and past Presidential debates, I can guess the stronger political party.

Statements I’ve heard about the candidates (paraphrased)

1) “There’s no doubt Obama is a strong speaker.”
2) “I changed my vote to McCain when he made Palin Vice President.”
3) “Palin has more experience than Obama to run this country.”
4) “McCain is focused on war instead of the economy.”
5) “McCain tells it like it is.”

My Opinion

1) Yes, Obama is a strong speaker. In my opinion, what makes him strong is his focus on the present and future. He’s gone on the attack, but he also sets the media straight, which is something I love seeing. One response that always stayed with me were attacks on him knowing Bill Ayers and his values, “the notion that … me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8 years old, somehow reflects on me and my values doesn’t make much sense.” I totally agree with him.
2) This individual would like to see Palin as President and that scares me. She is way over her head, and honestly, over mine. I’ve never had a 4.0 GPA, which might be why I don’t understand what she means when she said, “Oh, I think they’re [critics] just not used to someone coming in from the outside saying you know what? It’s time that a normal Joe Six-Pack American is finally represented in the position of vice presidency… “ Is she insinuating the average American drinks a six-pack of beer a night, a week, etc.?
3) I can’t comment too much on this since I haven’t looked into ‘everything’ Palin and Obama achieved in the political arena, although from what I've read I'm not convinced of this comment. Experienced or not, I don't have much respect for her.
4) It seems he tends to bring up his days of war. Don’t get me wrong, I thank McCain for fighting for our country, but right now our country has a lot more woes than war.
5) Obama tells it like it is too. As a matter of fact, Obama states he will raise taxes because that’s partly what is needed to help get us out of this economic mess. Who wouldn’t love to hear our taxes will be lowered? But if lowering taxes will push this country farther in debt, which my gut feeling tells me it will, then I’ll pay the extra taxes to see relief in a year or two.

In addition, when it came to the conventions Obama and Biden seemed connected and close while McCain and Palin were distant and awkward. I wonder if they even met before their convention.

So, who won the debate, McCain or Obama? I think you already know my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment