Thursday, May 7, 2009

Passion

For a long time now, one of my favorite songs has been Breathing by Lifehouse. The words alone move me then add Jason Wade’s sultry voice and I just want to lie down, close my eyes and breathe in the words. Several years ago, I even told my niece that if I ever met a guy who sang this to me and meant every word then I’d be his forever that's how much I love it.

Lyrics are similar to poetry because they allow the listener to interpret, which produce emotion. I interpret this song as a man trying to grasp onto life, struggling to figure out who he is, yet knowing there's one main thing he wants – Her. She is his sanity, his grace and just hearing her breathe is enough. She is his only need. Simple and complicated, but that’s the beauty of this song. And in the end, lying with my eyes closed, letting the words sink in, makes me truly feel what love is all about.


Breathing by Lifehouse


I'm finding my way back to sanity again
Though I don't really know what

I'm going to do when I get there

Take a breath and hold on tight

Spin around one more time

And gracefully fall back to the arms of Grace


I am hanging on every word you say

And even if you don't want to speak tonight

That's alright, alright with me

'Cause I want nothing more than to sit

Outside heaven's door and listen to you breathing

Is where I want to be


I'm looking past the shadows

Of my mind into the truth and

I'm trying to identify

The voices in my head

God which one's you?

Let me feel one more time

What it feels like to feel

And break these calluses off me

One more time


'Cause I am hanging on every word you say

And even if you don't want to speak tonight

That's alright, alright with me

'Cause I want nothing more than to sit

Outside your door and listen to you breathing

Is where I want to be


I don't want a thing from you

Bet you're tired of me waiting

For the scraps to fall

Off your table to the ground

I just want to be here now


'Cause I am hanging on every word you say

And even if you don't want to speak tonight

That's alright, alright with me

'Cause I want nothing more than to sit

Outside heaven's door and listen to you breathing

Is where I want to be


What’s your favorite song right now and how does it make you feel?


4 comments:

  1. Favorite songs change so often for me, it's hard to say. But in my family we often rate concerts, and who our favorite artists are to see live. Hm, I'd say Tom Petty, John Fogerty and maybe Billy Joel. Well, Stevie Nicks was good too. And then there's, oh I can't pick, just like I can't pick a favorite song! Love 'em all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! So many songs, so little time. I love many music genres, but for some reason this song just holds my heart strings the most in my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Bea here goes,

    I haven’t kept up with contemporary songs too much in recent times. It just seemed my work took up a lot of time. Now fortunately I have the time to catch up. I did watch the YouTube video of the song you liked and a couple others by Lifehouse. They are good!

    Now don’t be rolling in the aisle laughing, but one of my favorite songs that comes to mind is a very very old one that I heard when I was quite young. (I’m old but not as old as this comment appears to make me. LOL!) The lyrics have stuck with me through the years as I think their meanings touch on many things that really count in a relationship. It reminds me that caring about and affection for another is shown in little ways. Receiving affection and knowing your important to someone can be “priceless”.

    The song is “Little things mean a lot”. Gosh yes from the mid-50s. Could not believe it was so old when I looked it up on YouTube. It’s a song in which the girl tells the guy it’s the little things he can do that mean more to her than anything else. Like she says “a line a day when you’re far away” and “say I look nice when I’m not”

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nNk3ZlDsL8

    Surprisingly I think I’ve heard this song and I know other old favorite songs on recent TV commercials. I guess I’m part of the target group and they do get my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veejay, I think the song you picked fits you perfect. It’s weird because I’ve always thought and felt the little things moreso than the big things; flowers when unexpected, a little note in work bag to say I’m thinking about you, etc. You are absolutely right that it’s the little things that mean a lot. But I have to correct your statement, “receiving affection and knowing your important to someone can be “priceless”” because I believe it IS priceless.

    I was recently talking to a friend about how we take advantage of our loved ones by not showing them what they mean to us until a holiday comes around, or they’re no longer here. Sometimes we say it more than we show it.

    Big hugs to you. :)

    ReplyDelete