Friday, March 2, 2012

Digging Deep and a Fabulous Find!

There are so many places to explore in the area, so this week we went to a nearby town to tour a museum and coal mine. I had no idea how much I’d enjoy it, even though it was a bit creepy, but all-in-all I have a newfound appreciation for coal miners. They do risk their lives going into the mines.

Here are a few pictures of us walking through the mine.

This is an aluminum type stretcher they used to carry out injured miners or supplies. They stopped using it because the aluminum would spark and start fires.

This is a statue the miners prayed to while in the mine.

I took a picture of the layers of rock in the mine.

Here’s a picture of the toilet the miners used. They took turns taking the toilet home and dumping it in their gardens for manure. 

This is a cart that moves supplies from one area to another.

It doesn’t look as tight as it actually is, but the miners crawl under here to dig and put up wood barriers.

When we exited the mine, I took these pictures of the gate and the hill the mine is in. 


And then we discovered a Fabulous Find.

The next day, my Love made homemade bread (from scratch) and Mussels . If interested, you can find the full recipe here: http://www.food.com/recipe/mussels-in-white-wine-and-garlic-13162

This time I took pictures!!!!


 
Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Dig and conquer,
Bea

8 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much I love these pics. I may never see these places. So cool to get a play by play. Bread sounds interesting. I'll pass it along to the hubby to see how brave he wants to get! He did an awesome seafood medley a few days ago - that would be a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog and I couldn't stop reading. I especially like the posts on London. It is someplace I've always wanted to visit, not to see the tourist attractions but to see the real London. That's what I like about your post and photos. I'll be back and I'll be going to Amazon to look for your books. Your friend and fellow blogger, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. June, Aw, I'm sooo glad you enjoy my adventures. The bread is much better than store bought bread and it has lasted us all week. He made a whole grain/dark rye bread to keep with our healthy mission.

    Connie, Thank you so much for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos of London. It's one of my favorite places, too. I can't thank you enough for checking out my books and coming back for more. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gate is fabulous! And although those pictures are downright fascinating, I found myself getting claustrophobic just looking at them! Kind of the same way I get going into a cave. How in the world did those miners stand it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, stupid question, but you didn't happen to see a canary cage, did you? And if so, I really do hope it was occupied. I mean, that's like unplugging the CO detector, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy, I was a bit claustrophobic while walking through there, and when we had to bend our heads to the side, I got dizzy.

    BFTS, No canary cage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek! Very claustrophobia-inducing for me! I've taken a mine tour in Colorado, and came away with a great appreciation for those who make their living in the mines! Can you imagine having a job where you'd barely see the light of day? And eww—that toilet... :O

    As always, I love to see & read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete