Monday, April 14, 2014

Three for the Road



I was on a roll and then it stopped. Since I missed a few days of posting poetry, I will include three poems on this post. 

This first poem is something I found amongst my mother’s things when she passed away. It is marked unknown, but I found the author through Google. I’m posting this poem in memory of my mother and my cousin, Ann Renee Maluska, who died at the age of nineteen. Ann was born on Easter Sunday, and she would have turned forty-six years old today. Happy Birthday, Ann.

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep by Mary Elizabeth Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush or quiet
Birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Free Verse poetry is poetry that doesn’t follow meter or rhyme. Excuse the rush writing of this poem.

Treasures

Treasures
I thought I lost
I now have found

In the written word
and a picture to last
generations to come

Sometimes we
forget distant memories
that made us who we are

Because of all the treasures
I have found
It’s the one I carry around.

The treasure of
being a part of you,
letting that part shine right through.

I thought I would try another invented poetry form. This is a Memento, created by Emily Romano. It’s supposed to be about a holiday or anniversary, but I didn’t write about either one. The syllable count is 8,6,2 for each stanza, and the rhyme scheme is a/b/c/a/b/c. 

Unabashed Lovers

Ignore the judgmental whispers
That pour faster than rain
No worth;
Words that form on tongues like blisters
Creating endless pain
Unbirth.


To listen is to give power
Losing a bit of you
Hush now;
Stomp out the negative flower
To continue your woo
Avow.

Piecemeal and Three,
Bea

5 comments:

  1. I really like the tone of Frye's poem and the invented forms you're using are piquing my interest. What is the website where you're finding them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the tone is what gives it that somber feel. Here is a link to the site with the invented forms - http://www.shadowpoetry.com/resources/wip/types.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. Now I can bookmark it and try a few new forms from time to time ;)

      Delete
  2. I especially love the Memento style. It's really complicated (when laid out) but it sounds great when read aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one too, but I think the subject matter should be open and not limited.

      Delete