Sunday, May 3, 2009

Was it the Spirit of Heroes…

… that made me want to keep reading, or was it Jay L. Young’s creative style? It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book in which I didn’t want to put down. I’ve already blogged about being a “New Fan” of Jay L. Young, but his first book was a fresh new read and I had no idea what he had in store for me, his reader. As I’ve said before this isn’t even a genre I normally read and I’m glad that didn’t stop me from moving on. The Spirit of Heroes is the second book of the series which evolves the characters, ties in the first book’s setting with this one, and connects the reader to the struggles and emotions of all those in the Faction. I’ve been busy reading this book and finally finished so I could blog about it. Not only is Jay a talented writer, but he also designed the cover.

Jay locked me into his storytelling and I can’t wait to move onto the third book. This is by far one of the most hidden treasures in a series. The first book, Heroes of Old, sets up the characters and gives the reader an understanding of the beginning and how the Faction and Nephilim came to be. In the Spirit of Heroes, the reader gets to witness No maturing into a young man, along with the other characters. Jay’s love of music is also thrown into the mix seeing how music affects the soul as it does with these heavenly warriors.


This is a book for young and old, so go to Amazon today and purchase all four. If you have a young adult who enjoys X-Men, buy this series for them, I promise you it won’t disappoint.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you ask if it was the Spirit of Heroes or the author's creative style which engaged you. I'm reading a memoir right now that I didn't think I'd go for, Great Pretenders, My Strange Love Affair with 50s Pop Music, but the author's voice drew me in from the get-go. She's exploring her parents' lives and marriage through the 1950s music they grew up istening to, and at the same time learning about her own coming of age story. So it's interesting how voice over subject matter can sometimes win out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Joanne. An author can change a reader's mind about a subject matter by creating characters with dimension and growth and a story that makes you hold onto your seat. This is what Jay's books have done to me.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete