Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Neighborhood Walk


Today, I took a walk around my neighborhood with my camera in hand. There are several old churches by me, some I’ve passed numerous times, but this stopped me in my tracks. I took this picture from a church a few blocks away. “God so Loved the World.” It’s odd to find such encryption above the front doors of a church. I read the words several times realizing ‘loved’ is past tense. Does this mean, God doesn’t love the world anymore?

Even though I’m not practicing any organized religion, I’m still a believer in God. If I was attending mass at this church, I would definitely ask the priest why God doesn’t love the world anymore. I mean, where is the inspiration in going to church when he no longer loves us? I’ll admit I don’t agree with this encryption if intended literally.

Maybe in time, He will lose that love, but I believe he still has faith in humanity. He hasn’t given up on us yet.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend. Enjoy the week!

2 comments:

  1. Bea,
    Don’t want to save you a trip to church (LOL!), but it’s an excerpt from a bible quote. I agree taken out of context it makes one think. The quote is generally as follows depending on which version of the bible you are reading:
    “For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.” (John 3:16 NIV) (Roman Catholic Version)
    This means to me that it relates to His past gift to us and that He is still giving and loving.
    At one sermon in church the priest said there is nothing you can do to make God stop loving you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the walls would shake if I showed up at church. LOL!

    Ah, that makes sense, but I still find it strange to have the first part of that scripture and not the “as to give his only begotten Son” added. To me, the second part of that is the most important. But what do I know. I do agree with you that God is still giving and loving.

    Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. :D

    ReplyDelete