Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Self-Esteem


This is a free verse poem that doesn't follow any structure.


Self-Esteem

Maybe if I was skinny
      large
insults
                                    would shrink.

Maybe if I was tall
      small
jabs
                                    would stop growing.

Maybe if I was pretty
ugly
words
                                    would turn to compliments.

Maybe if I was funny
      sad
thoughts
would just be a joke.

Maybe if I wasn’t gay
      flaming
acts
would straighten out.

Maybe if I was popular
      loser
taunts
would lead to praise.

Maybe if I accepted me
inner
security
would blossom through life.

Love and Confidence,
Bea

P.S. This is my 400th blog post. 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on 400. I like the word play with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you noticed. I wanted the words to reflect the problem.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your 400th post! I should be hitting my 200th post sometime this summer. This free verse poem reminds me that another great thing about poetry can be how the lines can be manipulated to create a visual effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, setup can add to the poem. I separated the last line of each stanza to show a disconnect and kept the last stanza together to signify strength.

      Delete
  3. Hi Bea!
    Belated much congrats on your 400th !! Even though I don't make many comments, I enjoy reading your blog, especially the variety of interesting content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Veejay,

      Thanks much. So glad to see you here. I appreciate you letting me know you're still around reading. Take care.

      Delete