Monday, January 11, 2010

Words of Wisdom!

A friend sent me an email titled, Thoughts for Today. While reading them, I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at some of them. Yesterday, my mom mentioned phrases she likes and I realized there are many out there that really capture wit, humor or truth, so I decided to post a few.

“A penny saved is a government oversight.” Is this true or what? Nothings free anymore, so you can only assume someone fell asleep on the job if you have a few extra in savings.

“The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight, because by then your body and your fat have gotten to be really good friends.” This makes so much sense and explains why my fat is having a hard time departing.

“There’s always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look for it. For example, I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don’t hurt.” Ain’t that the truth? I’d be in a lot of pain if wrinkles hurt, so I am thankful.

“Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know ‘why’ I look this way. I’ve traveled a long way and some of the roads weren’t paved.” This one had my cheeks aching from laughing so much. Those words ring true, especially the unpaved roads.

“You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.” How nice? I have more to look forward to.

Do you have any quotes, phrases or words of wisdom that have you smiling or laughing from the wit or truth?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Bea,
    Here are some that I like:

    “I came into this world with nothing and I have almost all of it left.”

    “I spent most of my money on women and wine. The rest I just wasted.”

    “Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo... those are good Veejay. I love the first one. LOL! Sometimes you gotta laugh at life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Noble be a human being, helpful and good" was what my great-grandmother always used to say. Whenever this piece of ultimate wisdom somehow makes it into my conscious mind it makes me smile, for she was a noble human being, helpful and good. She was a wise old lady and I am glad I was granted the chance to get to know her before she passed away at the blessed age of 95. Of course, as I child I had no real idea about the significance of the quote she in fact borrowed from Goethe, a poet from the turn of the 19th century. Still, I always tried to follow her advice, although at times I screwed up royally. It is in fact about the difference between us and all other beings of creation that we know about. As humans we are given the choice how we want deal with the rest of the world. Some misuse this gift, others do not seem to be aware of it or tend to forget they have it, others strive for it, yet struggle on the way. But struggling is also part of being human, isn't it?

    Happy New Year, Bea!!!

    Jakie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you too, Jakie!

    That is a great quote. Your great-grandmother was a very wise woman. It's great when we can look back and realize what an impact someone had on us, but it's too bad we normally don't see it at the time.

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

    ReplyDelete